Domesic Violence/Animal Abuse
Find Help for Domestic Violence and Animal Abuse
Research shows that there is a high correlation between domestic violence and animal abuse. If you or someone you know is a victim, visit these resources to get help. You're not alone. SafeLink is Massachusetts’ statewide 24/7 toll-free domestic violence hotline and a resource for anyone affected by domestic or dating violence: 877-785-2020
If you have an emergency, dial 911.
Assistance finding pet-friendly shelters:
Red Rover and Animal Welfare Institute both have searchable databases of safe havens for pets of individuals who are experiencing domestic violence.
Information and Resources:
- HAVEN (Human/Animal Violence Education Network)
- Devoted to education and support resources
- National Link Coalition
- Resource center for information on the link between animal abuse and human violence.
- Resources for veterinary professionals can be found HERE.
- Violence Prevention & Intervention Brochure (Humane Society of the United States)
MA Statewide Toll-Free Domestic Violence Hotline: 877-785-2020
SafeLink is Massachusetts’ statewide 24/7 toll-free domestic violence hotline and a resource for anyone affected by domestic or dating violence. Each call is answered by a trained advocate who provides non-judgmental support, assistance with safety planning, and information on appropriate resources.
SafeLink’s state-of-the-art technology allows the advocate answering your call to keep you on the line while you are being connected to a resource in your area, getting you help in just a single call. It is also OK to call SafeLink if you need to talk about your situation or someone else’s – you do not need to be looking for services or a shelter space.
Advocates are bilingual in English and Spanish and have access to a service that can provide translation in more than 130 languages.
Call SafeLink for:
- Safety planning resources for survivors to learn how they and their families can stay safe.
- A safe and confidential space in which to talk about your relationship or someone else’s.
- A direct connection to domestic violence programs across Massachusetts
- Referrals to local domestic violence and other community resources
- Support and resources for anyone who is concerned about a victim of domestic violence
- Information about domestic and dating violence.